Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Counting My Blessings

Life has been really stressful lately. It's easy for me to get caught up in everything that I have going on and trying to figure out my life after graduation. Sometimes it feels like my life is a mess but that's not true. I have a life that other people would love to have, and too many time I forget about all the blessings that God has given me. I've made a little list of things I'm thankful for so no matter how hectic and stressed I get, I'll always be able to remember how good my life really is.
  • I'm thankful for my parents. They gave me a great childhood filled with love and laughter and made sure I always had everything I needed. They sacrificed to put my sister and I in private schools and are paying for my college education. I'm going to graduate with no loans or debt and that is something I can't even begin to tell them thank you enough for. They are my biggest fans and even though I'm not sure where I'm going to be living or working, I know they will never let me go homeless or hungry. It's such a comfort to know that I'll be taken care of and always have a home to go to no matter what my situation is. 
  • I'm thankful for my sister and cousins. Jill always pushes me to be a better person and I know I can always count on her to give me an honest opinion about anything. We haven't been the best of friends for the 18 years we've known each other, but I know that no matter what I do, she will always be my sister and nothing can ever change that. I have also been blessed to have a wonderfully close group of cousins, especially Phil, Doug, and Steve. All of my cousins are special to me but I was around those three the most when I was growing up and they're more like my brothers than my cousins. I know I can call any of them and they'll be there for me. I feel sad for families that aren't as close as ours.
  • I'm thankful for my friends. I'm so lucky to be able to live with 3 of the best friends I've ever had. When I think about all the horror stories some of my friends have experienced with roommates over the years, I can't believe how blessed I am to have never had a bad rooming experience. I met Andrea in Chicago when we were both visiting Olivet - who would've known she would become my roommate and one of my best friends for four years. You can really see God's hand in the story of how we became roommates. He provided me with a wonderful friend who fit my living style perfectly. The same goes with Taylor and Becky, who I had never met until the day we moved in. We all get along so well and have so much fun together. I am truly blown away by God's blessings in this area.
  • I'm thankful for another person in my life who will remain nameless. When I think about our relationship, all I can say is thank you. Thank you for supporting me and sticking with me for all these years. Your support and approval mean the most to me and I am so thankful and blessed to have you in my life. We've been through a lot and the fact that you're still here and want to be here amazes me. I can't imagine my life without you and I honestly don't want to. I don't know what I would've done without you. All I know is that as long as you're still here, I'll be here. Thank you for everything.
  • I'm thankful for my God who has never turned His back on me even though I've done things that have disappointed Him. Knowing His arms are always open to me is a hard concept to grasp. I do not deserve His undying love but I am incredibly thankful for it. I don't think I could ever be as patient with someone as He is with me. I know for a fact that there is absolutely no way I could have made it the past 22 years without Him. 
This list is in no way complete, and when I realize how many more things I could have listed, it overwhelms me. I am so blessed. There is no need for me to complain about my life and how crazy it is. God has given me all these blessings already and He will continue to provide for me throughout my life. Knowing that I am loved and taken care of by Him is the most reassuring peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment